Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Feeling Old In Your Twenties

                         


The other week I was watching the USA Network’s, Royal Pains, and one of the main characters had a troubling realization (or so he thought at the time).  Out of nowhere he felt old; out of touch.  He didn’t know the new hot spots, all the new acronyms the kids were using, and going to bed late was 10 o’clock at night.  Before I knew it, I was laughing out loud because I felt the same exact way.  It was only a year or so ago I was out all night, partying with friends, participating in illicit unmentionables, and literally had no care in the world.

Today, however, my days same rather rehearsed.  I go to work from 8 to 5, get home and start my nightly routine.  I take the dogs out, give them their dinner, then I sit down with a glass of wine and watch a bit of television or just sit still and unwind.  After that, it’s time to make dinner and eat, which in between watching the stove to make sure nothing boils over, I randomly pick up the house or work on a budgeted grocery list for my next trip to Publix.  I figure out what’s on my to do list for the next day, take a shower, watch that one last episode on Netflix, and go to bed.  Now, honestly, does that sound like the life of a twenty-seven year old?

When I tell people this and add in the fact that I love to embroider, they immediately relate me to their grandmother.  Which I don’t mind because I’m past the late nights and mischievous behavior (although I must admit from time to time, adding one in every once in a while wouldn’t hurt).  It’s not just the day to day that makes me feel “old” at a young age, it’s also the fact that when it comes to new technology, or social media, or how to properly get across my point in only 140 characters that I begin to question: how and when did I let all of this get by me?  I tell you truthfully that it was only a few months ago that I learned what IRL or SMH meant.  Until then I thought, well I didn’t know what to think.  But then I remember my good ol’ days and that we didn’t have to keep up on the in and now as much as the youth of today.  In all reality, I know I’m not old, far from it, and I don’t mind admitting I’ve never been to or used Reddit and hardly know what a thread is.  What’s really happening is I am growing up and what used to be impertinent to my daily and social life, don’t carry much weight anymore.

However, that doesn’t mean I won’t try to keep up - I joined Twitter didn’t I - it only means that the smaller things in life fill a bigger part of my soul than before.  So I welcome anyone who decides to accuse me of being boring or old because I know now what truly makes me happy.

Until next time, your old fart. - MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, questions, or whatever your heart desires!