Monday, September 22, 2014

Make This: DIY Dividers & Tabs

                     image


After days of struggling with a bag full of un-organized file folders, filled with my online E-Course paperwork, I finally made the trip to Target.  I am happy to report that I have successfully procured a binder that suits my needs and I am so looking forward to continuing Blog Life without the stress of, “I swear I put that paper in that folder!”

The binder, which is not only cute but quirky, didn’t come with a set of dividers and tabs.  So what does a girl on a budget do when buying the binder in the first place was an excessive purchase?  She makes her own! To some, this may not sound like the most intriguing or challenging DIY project but I absolutely love, love, love office supplies.  We may not be strong in number but I know there are others who feel as passionately about picking the perfect pen or stapler as I do.  So, without further ado, let me begin this most simple yet practical DIY for making your own dividers and tabs.



                                  image


Supplies Needed

- cardstock

- a pencil

- Elmer’s Glue Stick

- scissors

- ruler

*OPTIONAL

- Washi Tape

- exacto knife


                                               image




Your first step is to choose the shape of your tab.  You could decide to create a fancy shape or even organize your tabs differently than the standard, but I personally think the classic divider and tab is the way to go.

                    image


Pick out what color paper stock you’d like to use for your dividers and tabs.  You can choose to use a color scheme or embrace all the colors of the rainbow.  I decided on the latter (too many colors for such an indecisive person) but I did stick with just five colors for my tabs - you don’t want your dividers meant for organization to look sloppy and chaotic; I don’t think the binder could handle the oxymoron.

Now it’s time to cut out your tabs. Since I chose to separate my binder with five dividers go ahead and get out your ruler and measure each tab to be 2.5” in length and 1.25” in height.


                    image


I found it easier to cut out a square from your chosen card stock and fold it in half to trace the shape of the tab.  Cut along the traced line carefully so you have an even and clean shape.  Open up the fold and cut in two. Now you have your first tab.


Choose which color you want your first section divider to be and mark the top of the page where you’ll be placing the tab.  As mentioned, if you are making your binder with 5 section dividers, each tab should be 2.5”H x 1.25”L.  Before you glue the first side of your tab into place, use a pencil to mark off where you will be placing the first tab.  To have enough space to label your tabs mark the placement for the bottom of the tab so half of it is on the card stock and the other half off the divider.

                    image


                                         
Now, take out the glue, it’s time to make things permanent.  Glue the tab to the front, turn over and glue the second half to both the divider and back of the front page tab. This will insure that your tabs are sturdy and can withhold your page flipping.

Repeat these steps for each divider moving the tab placement for each divider by about 2.5” (the length of the tab) until you’ve completed all five dividers.  For my dividers, I decided to overlap the tabs slightly - this is totally up to you.

*OPTIONAL

When I was finished, I didn’t like the look of the plain tab showing so I took Washi tape to cover the bottom half.  I was having trouble cutting the tape straight along the tab so I used an exacto knife to do the job - it worked superbly. (Just be careful not to cut the card stock. It may or may not have happened to me…)

                                                           image



There you have it, handmade dividers and tabs!  Simple, fun, and most importantly your own!  Good luck on yours and to all of you office supply lovers out there, I hope you have just as much fun as I did with this project :)


Until next time - MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, questions, or whatever your heart desires!